For those who have had the experience of dealing with building management teams or dormitory management departments, it probably can come as to no surprise that even miniscule repairs can sometimes take a considerable amount of time to complete. However in the case of some students, that delay has led to a potentially life-threatening situation when a faulty ceiling fan caught fire in one of the university’s dormitory rooms.
Faulty ceiling fan in UM dorm catches fire despite 2 reports lodged
In a Twitter post shared by netizen @ArepAshari, he explains that the faulty ceiling fan had been in-use at his sister’s dorm room for quite some time. This is in light of the fact that two reports have previously been lodged to management over the matter. Located squarely over student’s bed, the faulty fan eventually gave up the ghost and burst into flames.
“The fan caught fire right over a bed/mattress. Had there not been anybody in the room, the entire building would have caught fire.” Ashari said.
Dah complaint 2 kali still tak betul kan. Sampai terbakar, bomba datang baru nak gelabah? Nk tggu student mati baru nak take action? Kipas terbakar betul2 ats katil/tilam. Kalau orang takda dlm bilik, satu building terbakar. Kira ok la? @UniversitiMalay @KemPelajaran @RadziJidin pic.twitter.com/ZzqhDa2myn
— Arep (@ArepAshari) May 12, 2022
A video that was included in his post showed emergency fire personnel at the scene of the incident after the fire had been put out completely. As one can imagine, chaos ensued in the wake of the small blaze, which had left sizeable scorch marks on the ceiling. Ashari adds that he feels a personal responsibility to highlight the ordeal, as the room had belonged to his sister.
In an update over the case, he shares that thee university management have already issued a refund to his sister for the cost of a hotel room she had to pay to stay in due to the state of her dorm room. Her room has also since been cleaned up.
Alhamdulillah semua dah setel. Da dapat bilik baru and cost semua pihak U nak refund. Thanks kepada semua yang membantu dalam menyetelkan benda ni, baik dari pihak universiti dan siapa2 yang terlibat. 🙏 pic.twitter.com/9quUpQ7bf7
— Arep (@ArepAshari) May 14, 2022
The Tweet has since gone viral, with a number of other students sharing similar incidents that they have faced while living in dorm rooms.
Dulu masa diploma, pernah report pasal sinki nak jatuh. By the way, dah ada ya sinki jatuh, kena student, luka got so deep that the muscle tore apart. Kena ambulance yang datang ambil sebab bleeding too much.
Anyway, pihak kolej tak ambil tindakan, so I filed another report. Tu
— Idayu (@idayu3112) May 13, 2022
Reminds me of the time when part of the ceiling came off at 3AM. Bangun2 sumpah terkejut 🤣 this was KK5 btw pic.twitter.com/JAK6dUr7rq
— Blub (@Bwubbuu) May 13, 2022