Just over the weekend, local newspaper Sinar Daily reported that five employees working in a private marine product company located in Sepanggar, Sabah were sent to the hospital after allegedly inhaling toxic gas that was released from a barrel of rotten fish.
5 factory workers sent to hospital after inhaling toxic gas released by barrel of rotten fish
According to Kota Kinabalu Fire and Rescue station (BBP) chief Ordine Gilu, he revealed that the rescue team has received a distress call on the matter at around 8:26pm and a 15-men team equipped with personal protective gear were deployed to rescue the victims. Upon arrival, the team was able to locate a barrel of rotten fish that emitted toxic gas that had caused five of he men to suffer from poisoning.
Initially, 23-year-old Jirol Carumpi was the first victim who fell unconscious after inhaling the toxic gas. He was subsequently found by his four other friends, Jolito Araza, 38, Riswan and Muhammad Mufli, both 27, and Shahril, 19. All five were immediately rushed out of the compound and later on sent to the hospital. As Jirol was found unconscious on site, he received immediate emergency medical attention in the ambulance en-route to hospital.
“His 4 other friends were subsequently sent to the hospital by the Emergency Services Assistance Unit (ERMS) and Malaysian Civil Defence Force (APM)”, recalled the chief.
Following that, the Hazardous Materials Unit team (HAZMAT) team were also deployed to conduct a search within the compound to trace the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and no chemical substances were detected.
Kota Kinabalu Fire and Rescue station (BBP) chief Odine Gilu, said that the rescue mission ended at 10:06pm. All 5 victims are reportedly in stable condition.
Tap here to give us a ‘Like’ on Facebook and stay up-to-date on the latest news!